Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A rant.
12-30-2012, 01:43 AM
RE: A rant.
Better for us to talk with disappointment than not at all, I suppose.

[Image: AxwWvY1.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-30-2012, 12:34 PM
Otherwise I miss you guys and that disappointment is worse than that of missing an update ;_;

"No Excuses. No Apologies. No Regrets."
[Image: sabotagethefoolsmall.jpg]
12-30-2012, 12:47 PM
I kickstarted this project in good faith and I was aware it might crumble somewhere in development. But it would be shame if it happend so, as this is really nice idea for a game and it starts to look good.

I was, and I am, keeping an eye on other games in development like Wurm, Minecraft, KAG, Cortex Command, Terraria, Castle and Miner Wars 2081. Story of their development differs from each other. Some of them have/had rapid development (like minecraft), some of them lingered in release time for polishing and testing (like Cortex Command) and some of them turned out bo be not much to my liking from varied reasons (Miner Wars and Wurm).

I still believe that uberdark is on early stage, where mistake measn tenfold of problems in future and where basic tools have yet to be estabilished for better workflow.

We might been somewhat spoiled by games like minecraft and now we are expecting to get same things, but, as we look back in time, it was based on much simpler concept and written in different language AND it still bears burden of first mistakes. For another example, developers of KAG, after fleashing out basic concepts, are rewriting whole game from basics so it can be optimised to its limits. It takes sweat time (and it is 2D) but it will pay out with interest.

Point is, I would like to see more(of any kind) updates. Tommorow? In next mont? I don't care. I will just visit from time to time, to see whats going on, and if after a year from now we will have anything interesting, I will be happy.
Find all posts by this user
12-30-2012, 01:16 PM
That is well said and a good point was made. I would still say I'm a little upset at how things have gone, but to be fair, there is not even a development system in place at all. I think one of the biggest things that needs to happen is that Aaron needs to figure out a system that doesn't necessarily require him to put in all the work. I understand that he is busy, but he has other people that are willing to work on the game. As long as we can have a line of reliable communication to him, we could develop the game without him doing anything directly. Sure that isn't a perfect system, but it would be good enough until he has more time to put into the game.

12-30-2012, 04:32 PM
What iAreNubcake said would be much better, I think that would be a great way to do it. Aaron could also provide a list of features or tasks that need to be done, he could then check if he likes the way the task or feature was implemented.
12-30-2012, 07:49 PM
I guess what you guys need is something similar to how openttd does their nightlies (except you know, more private)
You have a place where all the code is and anyone with access can download the latest version, and make a new version with any code that was changed. That also allows for better testing.

But idk. We will have to wait and see whats done.
12-31-2012, 02:20 AM
What we need is version control. That would help the development process a lot, but Aaron doesn't seem to use any form of it. If there was a Git Repo for it (or SVN) we could all develop different stuff with no worries.

But step one is still talk to Aaron, and that's proving difficult... >.<

01-01-2013, 10:36 PM
Has Aaron replied to the email you sent? If not, when was the last time you talked with him?
01-02-2013, 09:32 AM (This post was last modified: 01-02-2013 06:04 PM by Nicolas.)
Ihe last time i talked to him was the on December 16th, we discussed a technical problem...

I took advantage of the discussion to speak about the development of the game, he just ignore it and said goodbye Undecided
01-02-2013, 12:15 PM
If we all stand up and get to mob him at once it's only normal that (any) person can get fed up with it in short time. Our behavior can turn development of this game, from a challenge into a chore.
Thread Closed