Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Update May 18, 2014 -- Alpha Version 0.50
05-18-2014, 10:56 AM
Update May 18, 2014 -- Alpha Version 0.50
Well, the new version of Uberdark is now available, the primary improvements being random cavern and dungeon generation.

Terrain generation has bogged down a bit, due to the added complexity -- it's still okay on faster machines, but my older one chugs a little now. Also, the seaming problem is still present -- only more noticeable due to the ceilings.

Anyway -- now it's on to the next version, so here's the list of what I'm hoping to accomplish for Alpha 0.51...
  • Fluid flows and rendering, both water and lava
  • Improve collision code
  • Improve rotational control of plops (not all the way finished yet)
  • Fix seaming problems
  • Add some new building materials / terrain objects
  • Add a shoreline biome type

The fluid flows will be the big work item -- definitely won't be able to get the same resolution as the main terrain system (since they need to be animated), but hopefully it'll work out well. Also, I'm gonna set a target date up front -- June 29th.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-18-2014, 12:10 PM
RE: Update May 18, 2014 -- Alpha Version 0.50
"Gwarn's Robotics and Surgical Equipment"... ?
If I delete the world and Dungeon folders I don't get a "Generate World" option, and it doesn't make new folders when I run it..
When moving I get a constant "LOADING" on the screen and have to wait for my character to rise as he seems to be 2inches tall when this happens, no jump button makes the traversing of landscape incredibly tedious.
Flying also takes forever.
Plopping and removing has to be done with clicks, I miss the smooth dragging from the days of yore.
Something feels off with the depth of vision, times I felt I should have been able to reach out and edit something apparently I was miles away.
I quite like the look of caverns and once it's playable and has game content and things can be interacted with other than taking out spheres leaving white chunks it could be an interesting place to be.

"No Excuses. No Apologies. No Regrets."
[Image: sabotagethefoolsmall.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-18-2014, 12:36 PM (This post was last modified: 05-18-2014 12:48 PM by Weridoguy.)
I found a bug while messing around with this release.
When I was moving around in a dungeon for a while, I suddenly started getting framedrops, and after a while the resolutions of the walls and stuff just got messed up.
Then I entered fly mode and flied out of the dungeon. I saw some weird artifacts. A huge wall of green red and blue... sort of weird to expain really... I'll make sure to take a screenshot if it happens again.
I have no idea what's causing it, but after messing around some more I figured out some more as to what's happening.
Like I said the game gets laggy and starts to look weird. Example: http://i.imgur.com/Fcl1bRJ.png
And the weird wall of green red and blue. I might've figured out what it was.
When I opened the tool menu for the sphere plopper after the game started to lag, the bar at the bottom stretched out and it stayed there even after the window had disappeared

I play too many games at once.
05-18-2014, 11:55 PM
Well I haven't experienced any issues so far outside of the norm, so I'm not sure what to say Weridoguy. Any steps to reproduce?

As for the release itself, it looks good! There are some obvious issues with blending the dungeons and caverns, as well as other biomes, but each one does look nice at least. Tongue

Responding and rehashing a few things Thomas said, though...

Yeah, you published the game with Gwarn's Robotics and Surgical Equipment as the company... o.o
Yes Thomas, the loading thing is a bit of a pain ;_; Even on high-end systems, the constant loading is far from negligible... plans to deal with that?
The sphere tool is a bit tedious to use as-is. I understand that the click/drag was VERY resource expensive, but the smoothness of the original Uberdark is something to be missed... Also, can we get a cube tool? o.o
I don't necessarily think that the depth of field is too off, but the character is incredibly tiny.

I really do like the game looks, and I'm hopeful for what it will turn into, but I am very curious as to when the game will feel like a game again... Could you give us some sort of list as to what your engine-oriented goals are before you'll make the game feel a bit more homey?

[Image: AxwWvY1.png]
05-19-2014, 01:22 AM
1. Nice update!
2. Fluids soon!? Hallelujah!!!

Forever vigilent.
05-19-2014, 09:28 AM (This post was last modified: 05-19-2014 09:40 AM by Weridoguy.)
To reproduce the bug all I need to do is to fly into a dungeon, and then exit fly mode and start walking around. It usually happens after a minute or two.
I managed to get a screenshot of the weird artifacts, although it isn't a really good image: http://i.imgur.com/cjnuCdP.png
Still confused as to what's happening. Once when I held the right mouse button the sphere mesh got all messed up too.

05-19-2014, 02:47 PM
I did that myself a couple times, but I never had anything glitch out like that... have you tried running with both versions of the .exe?

05-19-2014, 03:26 PM
The bug occurred when I was using the uberdark-vertex-buffer.exe
Using the uberdark-display-list.exe I get terrible framerates.
I don't know if it's the same bug, but when I tried to recreate it on the uberdark-display-list.exe the whole game started flickering.

05-20-2014, 09:11 AM
What sort of graphics card do you have? I run the game with the display-list .exe because I've got an AMD graphics card.

05-20-2014, 09:19 AM
I have the GeForce GTX TITAN graphics card.