Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uberdark Alpha 0.53 Comments
11-09-2015, 10:14 AM
RE: Uberdark Alpha 0.53 Comments
If he open sources the game, I would stress that people not try to build directly off of that - the original game (and the current one, really) aren't very well optimized, so it'd be best to take the code and rework it from scratch into something that is more functional. Then again, though, anyone who can do that probably doesn't really need the source code anyway.

In any case, for what it's worth, I still have some source from one of the last versions before the rework, but I can't relaly just release it without Aaron's say-so.

[Image: AxwWvY1.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2015, 04:38 PM
(11-09-2015 10:14 AM)iAreNubcake Wrote:  If he open sources the game, I would stress that people not try to build directly off of that - the original game (and the current one, really) aren't very well optimized, so it'd be best to take the code and rework it from scratch into something that is more functional. Then again, though, anyone who can do that probably doesn't really need the source code anyway.

In any case, for what it's worth, I still have some source from one of the last versions before the rework, but I can't relaly just release it without Aaron's say-so.

Well, if he does, we'll just set up a GitHub repo and work as a community.
Between you, me, Werido, and possibly Aaron B, it could come back from the grave.

Forever vigilent.
Find all posts by this user
11-11-2015, 10:08 AM
(11-10-2015 04:38 PM)durdur Wrote:  Well, if he does, we'll just set up a GitHub repo and work as a community.
Between you, me, Werido, and possibly Aaron B, it could come back from the grave.

Maybe. To be honest, I've worked with C enough to know that I don't like working with C very much, so if push came ot shove, I'd probably want ot rewrite it in... well, just about anything that isn't pure C. Even C++ or C# would be better than C. Tongue

11-12-2015, 12:32 AM
Wouldn't want to make a game like this in C#, you'd need every bit of performance you can get from C++. Possibly use Vulkan when it's released.
11-12-2015, 10:36 AM
Yes and no. Honestly, most games can easily have game code written in just about any language, because at the end of the day it only matters what the heavy lifting is done in. If you use a game engine written in C/C++ and it has appropriate bindings for your preferred language, there usually isn't enough of a difference in performance to really even note it. After all, the processing intensive bits are rendering and calculations, not checking a conditional.

That being said, LoU has a custom engine as it stands now. If we were to adapt that specifically, then yeah, C++ would probably be better than C#, but if we went the (probably smarter) route of adapting an existing engine to our purposes, we'd save time and get to focus on the game itself, AND we could use just about any language (given that it has binding for whatever engine we choose). Honestly we could even use that same logic if we were to develop the custom engine if we were smart about it, but I admittedly haven't done much in terms of engine development in this sort of capacity at least.

Okay, serious question time - who here can actually program? What language(s) do you know? What ones are you willing to learn? If we have enough people to actually do something, well... we could actually do something. o.o

11-12-2015, 01:13 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2015 01:16 PM by durdur.)
(11-12-2015 10:36 AM)iAreNubcake Wrote:  -snip-

Well, I've written things in C# and smaller Lua, .vbs, or .bat scripts, so I'm very familiar with syntax and proper indentation.

I haven't used C# in a few years, but whatever is decided shouldn't be too hard for me to pick up.

EDIT: Just for giggles, I wrote a .bat file editor. Currently it can create new files, delete old ones, and add to text contents. It can also print-out a new copy of the file if you somehow removed it from the screen! /toomuchfreetime

Forever vigilent.
11-12-2015, 06:09 PM
Very limited c++ and c# experience. With enough time I could probably make some things like random world generation, some UI stuff, and some smaller tasks.

I play too many games at once.
11-14-2015, 01:27 AM
Almost done with a bachelor in IT, I've been programming in C++ for a few years. I've got experience with C, C++, C# and Java, I've messed with Lua.
11-14-2015, 01:53 PM
Looks like we've got experienced programmers.
If the game became a community project, we'd still need someone to make texture/model assets, SFX, and front-end things such as GUI objects.

Hopefully it won't come to that, and Aaron will come back to us.

Forever vigilent.
11-14-2015, 11:33 PM
It's nice to see we have enough hands to get things going, but I agree, I'm hoping it doesn't come to that...

Honestly, though, it's looking more and more like it will each day.