Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uberdark Alpha 0.53 Comments
11-15-2015, 01:17 AM
RE: Uberdark Alpha 0.53 Comments
(11-14-2015 11:33 PM)iAreNubcake Wrote:  It's nice to see we have enough hands to get things going, but I agree, I'm hoping it doesn't come to that...

Honestly, though, it's looking more and more like it will each day.

Hey now, don't quit on me now.
I'M the only nay-sayer allowed in these parts.
After all, we can't all lose heart.
Who'd balance-out my negativity then?

Forever vigilent.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-15-2015, 01:50 PM
To be honest, I lost hope in the project a while back. I only acted differently because it'd be a shame if one of the most active people/admins didn't believe in it anymore.

I think we're at a point now where all 4 of the other viewers of the forum already know that the game isn't going anywhere, so it seems pointless to keep up the ruse.

[Image: AxwWvY1.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-15-2015, 03:03 PM
Oh well. We'll know for certain if he takes the website down. (Or stops paying for the domain name)

Forever vigilent.
11-16-2015, 10:10 AM
Unfortunately, domains are cheap to get for like 5 years, so it might yet be a while...

11-19-2015, 02:05 PM
THAT would be interesting... hmmm...
11-22-2015, 03:06 AM
I actually like that idea
you don't actually have to even use any of the code you could just start from scratch or use a pre-existing engine and see what happens
11-22-2015, 04:09 AM
I suppose it might be time to dust off the c/c#/c++ manuals, and see just how hard deformable polygonal terrain is.

Might be able to bypass the floating-pointing rounding errors at long distances by dividing the terrain into minecraft-esque chunks, and stitching the borders.

The end result is something like x0 y0 through x255 y255 becomes c0 x0 y0 through c63 x63 y63.
Or something.
2A.M. here.
My math hurts.

Point is, smaller numbers, so less rounding issues. X and Y coordinates stay small, while only the chunk index gets big.

The bigger the object, the lower probability 1mm position errors will matter.

Forever vigilent.
11-22-2015, 01:33 PM
This is very quickly becoming "let's make a game that's LIKE LoUd, but not." As Electrk said, that might actually be a better idea, and also doesn't rely on us getting the source code/rights to use it.

I'm assuming if we went that route that the intention would be to make the game the way LoUd was supposed to be made, but instead with our own spin(s) on it?

11-22-2015, 02:54 PM
(11-22-2015 01:33 PM)iAreNubcake Wrote:  This is very quickly becoming "let's make a game that's LIKE LoUd, but not." As Electrk said, that might actually be a better idea, and also doesn't rely on us getting the source code/rights to use it.

I'm assuming if we went that route that the intention would be to make the game the way LoUd was supposed to be made, but instead with our own spin(s) on it?

Pretty much. I think we can all agree that the first LoUD engine was the most fun

Forever vigilent.
11-22-2015, 03:11 PM
Naaaah, I like much more this new engine. The first one was too much of a clone of minecraft, stuck to a grid and clunky. The last engine has some fun fun interactions between plops and objects and freedom. Imageine if you could do few steps further with both these things.

First, you would add surface smoothing, so grass, dirt and exposed rock would be smoothed but you still would have pointy stones while digging. Second, you could smooth choosen parts by hand, like sticking mortar between bricks, keeping that organicall, wonderfull look but with seamless connections.

Third, if you could do little bit more with objects like chairs, trees etc. If you could plop start of the table and then move few steps and plop its end to determinate its lenght and maybe curves you could end with EVEN MORE organic places. If you could plop beggining of the pipe and its end and corners.

Uberdark is fun for me because it tries to do something different. I don't like to be entangled by a grid T_T