Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alpha v.43 Discussion
09-30-2012, 03:45 PM
RE: Alpha v.43 Discussion
(09-26-2012 06:28 PM)SabotageTheFool Wrote:  
(09-26-2012 06:04 PM)ZiggyPox Wrote:  it will all end with people playing with open wiki in the background, anyway.

I really hope not Undecided
I don't like having to break away from being in a world Sad

An in-game recipe system would suit me much better than keeping a browser open all the time. Getting recipes from shops and quests and as loot from raids would be an interesting gameplay element.

Triple-A companies thrive on greed, indie companies thrive on weed.
My blog | Random game talk | dA
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-30-2012, 03:56 PM
(09-30-2012 03:45 PM)Kazekai Wrote:  
(09-26-2012 06:28 PM)SabotageTheFool Wrote:  
(09-26-2012 06:04 PM)ZiggyPox Wrote:  it will all end with people playing with open wiki in the background, anyway.

I really hope not Undecided
I don't like having to break away from being in a world Sad

An in-game recipe system would suit me much better than keeping a browser open all the time. Getting recipes from shops and quests and as loot from raids would be an interesting gameplay element.
Butt at the same time, we need to be able to craft anything if we have the materials, and know how to make it, without having to find a recipe.

You can't judge a butt by its cover~
09-30-2012, 04:28 PM
(09-30-2012 03:56 PM)Ben Wrote:  Butt at the same time, we need to be able to craft anything if we have the materials, and know how to make it, without having to find a recipe.

Okay Ben, I'm going to mail you all the ingredients you need so you can bake me a cheesecake, a strawberry cake with buttercream icing (both from scratch), and a batch of Chocolate Chip Cookies using the Nestle recipe. You're not allowed to look up any recipes, though. You've got the ingredients, so you should be able to make it all anyway.

:3

My point is simply that I am for the recipe finding. It makes more sense to learn how to make something from someone teaching you or from a plan you find than just knowing how out of nowhere. I do, however, think that recipes should be remembered in a crafting list or something like that in-game...

[Image: AxwWvY1.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-30-2012, 04:41 PM
(09-30-2012 04:28 PM)iAreNubcake Wrote:  
(09-30-2012 03:56 PM)Ben Wrote:  Butt at the same time, we need to be able to craft anything if we have the materials, and know how to make it, without having to find a recipe.

Okay Ben, I'm going to mail you all the ingredients you need so you can bake me a cheesecake, a strawberry cake with buttercream icing (both from scratch), and a batch of Chocolate Chip Cookies using the Nestle recipe. You're not allowed to look up any recipes, though. You've got the ingredients, so you should be able to make it all anyway.

My point is simply that I am for the recipe finding. It makes more sense to learn how to make something from someone teaching you or from a plan you find than just knowing how out of nowhere. I do, however, think that recipes should be remembered in a crafting list or something like that in-game...
What I meant, was that if I, the player, already know how to craft my whatever, I shouldn't need to go out and find a guy who has that recipe, to unlock it.

09-30-2012, 04:43 PM
there might be a "hint" system. When you place an object for crafting it might emit blue aura if it can make something pairet with anything else and when placing another object near (in crafting place) they might still emit light. If given combination won't make anything it would shine in red. It would cut number of combinations and players would have some kind of indicator if they are on good track.
09-30-2012, 04:45 PM
(09-30-2012 04:41 PM)Ben Wrote:  
(09-30-2012 04:28 PM)iAreNubcake Wrote:  

What I meant, was that if I, the player, already know how to craft my whatever, I shouldn't need to go out and find a guy who has that recipe, to unlock it.

I agree, recipe finding should just be for people who don't know how to craft something, it would inconvenience people who do.

09-30-2012, 04:51 PM (This post was last modified: 09-30-2012 04:51 PM by Ben.)
P.S., you mailed me the ingredients I need, so it can't be that hard to figure out what goes into which baked treat. Also, thanks! I'll have a fun day of baking, for free! >:3

09-30-2012, 04:55 PM
I think that, once you successfully create something, it should be added to your recipe log in the same way that it would be added if you found the recipe. Not only would this make it easier for people who already know the recipes, but it might encourage experimenting.

And yes they can just look on the wiki, but that's with every game out there - the difference being the wiki isn't mandatory like it was with Minecraft, so I think people will be more encouraged to play the game, if only because people don't like being pulled out of it to do research on Google. :V

09-30-2012, 05:47 PM
It is not about people what can and can not, it is what people will choose. It was a nice feature (secret recipes) for few hours, when people had fun in racing for hidden stuff. It still has this feeling of "crafting", but using wiki (third party element) is now mandatory for smooth gameplay.

As far as I remember, aquaria had nice system, where You were crafting different kind of food by experimenting AND after finding new recipe you could envoke it from the list in game. But still, some of these recipes were so complicated (multi-leveled meta-crafting rare-ingredients) that it would be INSANE to find them without wiki. Little spoiler, but this is the list of items for uber seafood.

Just to make crafting fun everytime You craft, not just the first time.
09-30-2012, 09:08 PM
It seems like a lesser evil to try to add an interesting recipe system than to make the game as ambiguous about what to do as Minecraft on the assumption that people will just Google it anyway.

I look up walkthroughs when I get stuck, that doesn't mean I want the game to not attempt to explain itself to me.