Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alpha v.43 Discussion
09-30-2012, 09:13 PM
RE: Alpha v.43 Discussion
exacly this. There must be SOMETHING that will tell us that we are on good track while crafting. Otherwise it is just banging rocks together expecting to make a car.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-30-2012, 09:24 PM
You could make it, so that you can craft anything for which you have the materials, and the appropriate crafting station, with a grid, OR you can find a recipe, which gets added to your list, that automatically adds the items to the grid for you (assuming you have those items.)

Maybe crafting things with the grid once, gives you the recipe, and you can also start with some/find some. Or maybe you can only add a recipe to your list when you find it, the benefit there being the time you save in putting the items in the grid.

You can't judge a butt by its cover~
09-30-2012, 11:32 PM
Having to find all the recipes for them to be documented seems like a hassle. I have to say, I'd love to see this game use a 3D grid because of the more advanced gadgets planned, but am unsure if this is possible.

Triple-A companies thrive on greed, indie companies thrive on weed.
My blog | Random game talk | dA
10-01-2012, 07:34 AM
I dunno... I mean, with a 2d grid you can at least memorise the recipes really easily, with a 3D grid however... Not to mention the time it would take to craft things! Assuming you don't yet have the recipe.

You can't judge a butt by its cover~
10-01-2012, 11:27 AM
Having some items which are simple like a pickaxe use a 2D grid seems fair, but switching to a 3D grid for a catapault or vehicle was what I was thinking.

Might also allow for people to add custom parts to vehicles when putting them together.

10-01-2012, 12:08 PM
It might be done by multi-step crafting. It works in minecraft and someone mentionet it before. You simply craft basic parts on 2d grid and then assemble them again on 2d grid.

Problem is, if you would do this in straight way it just just multifolding crafting "combinations".

If you consider materials as numbers and recipe as a code, you can compute avaible combinations. Adding another "levels" of code/crafting creates huge "possibilities" on one hand, but at the same time "huge problem". Brute-forcing recipes is a bad idea : <
10-01-2012, 01:33 PM
I have scribled my concept, so it would be easier to explain for me :/.

http://i.imgur.com/qJz49.png

fig 1-bigger crafting grid, 5x3 for extra fun
fig 2-placing first material (first one always in middle, the "heart"). Surrounding blocks will lit to inform where we can put another material that might craft something with "heart". If it can be any material, let say colour of light will be blue.
fig 3-we place some material on top of "heart", another rock. It turns out that it can be any material, but not rock. Our combination is lit red to inform us that none of combinations uses these objects in this formation. Lets try something different
fig 4-we placet two pieces of rock on the sides and we are on good track. There is something new, a green light indicating SPECIFIC material, lets say natural/biological (wood, grass, leaves etc)
fig 5-well, it wasn't this, lets try something different.
fig 6-now we have something! Our first craft, a leaver. Right combination is lit in green to inform us that these objects can create something. But we can still add another materials to this combination, lets do this
fig 7-well, we have DIFFERENT object and there are no more combinations for us.
fig 8- two figs

On the right there is a list (neglected in this picture). After crafting of object, it will remember recipe and when we put something in middle (lets say rock) it will show all recipes that are covering this combination (everything with rock in middle).
10-01-2012, 04:50 PM
Once again, Ziggy is a genius.

Forever vigilent.
10-01-2012, 08:06 PM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2012 08:07 PM by Kazekai.)
I still like 3D grids more. Seems more feasible for making vehicles.

Besides, I thought everyone was all for not copying Minecraft. :V

A 5x5 2D grid that multiplies into a 3D grid for making huge objects.

10-01-2012, 08:07 PM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2012 08:18 PM by ZiggyPox.)
not so much. Fig 4 should have "blue lights" on sides of green one, to be consistent, as fig 6 also has them lol.

edit:
It is true, copying minecraft is bad, but lets us not be minecraft-o-phobic here now. With my idea we could remove grid at all (as these lights will show where we can put objects) and we could make different form of crafting "matric". Hexagonal tiling meaby? They would look fancy and complicated, but in reality they would be easy to manage.