Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
September 29, 2013
09-30-2013, 07:53 AM
September 29, 2013
Still working on the outdoor terrain generation, particularly trying to make it fast enough. As for how this system works, basically there are "realistic" 2D heightmap images which are oriented randomly, and which fade into one another. Different groups of images are added on top of one another (at each detail level). That gives a single, final heightmap that goes on forever, to which trees and other detail objects can be added.

The tricky part is generating the new block structure from the heightmap - the code for that (which was used to build the walls and floors) is pretty slow, so trying to make it faster.

Caverns may be additional heightmap layers - or may be handled separate like the dungeons.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-30-2013, 10:04 AM
RE: September 29, 2013
Thanks for all that info! It all looks better and better Smile. I like current generation of dungeons, maybe even if it would be build only from bigger chunks. When terrain is randomly generated from the script, all of it, even if it is pretty-ish it's getting quite dull after a while (i'm looking at you, Minecraft). I don't like to wander two hours in straight line hoping to find some interesting structures. I prefer when my terrain is much more saturated in interesting objects.

Personally I wouldn't mind some bigger, pre-generated structures if they would have much more detail and design in them, even whole cities. I also wouldn't mind if caves and dungeons would be made from bunch of bigger chunks glued together rather than "totally random hole in ground". I imagine that it would work in that way: make list of bits, model these bits and set data to that bit like where it has ends, where something can be connected to them, what can be connected to them etc. I don't know how fast it could work but I imagine some possibilities with that, like bits repository, where you can download from friend "ziggys' death-trap set" and it ads to map generation new bits made by someone.

If map is going to be infinite and be generated on the run as we explore map, it would good idea to add something meaningful to that exploration. Like structures that appear only after some level of player development. Maybe goblin towers? Or their graveyard after bigger fight with them.

Just some ideas <3.
09-30-2013, 12:41 PM
TL;DR wall of text Ziggy
Appreciate the detailed stuff, Aaron!

Forever vigilent.
09-30-2013, 02:12 PM
I like the idea of having plenty of interesting structures in the world, but I don't think I'd like pre-built cities (if they were too big) and there DEFINITELY needs to be a balance with saturation. If too many interesting things spawn, nothing is interesting anymore. If we can find all of the interesting structures the game offers in a day because of how commonly they are placed, we have little to look forward ot the next day, etc.

[Image: AxwWvY1.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-30-2013, 04:44 PM
Yeah, you are both right. I'm just throwing my two(bags) of pennies. I'm not demanding anything, it's just food for thought Wink
09-30-2013, 05:53 PM
Keeping ideas flowing is always good, I as just giving my two cents about your two cents. Tongue

[Image: AxwWvY1.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-01-2013, 12:41 PM
Anyone have an estimate on the next release date timeframe?

Forever vigilent.